Curry in a Hurry!
One of my favorite and most comforting dishes! Plus, it’s packed full with great veggies. And it's really easy to whip up! Pick a protein of your choice. I use shrimp, chicken or tofu depending on my mood. And you can totally vary the spice level, from mild to spicy. I make this all the time for my family and friends. This recipe makes enough for 4 people.
This serves 4
1 can of full fat coconut milk
2 tablespoons of coconut oil (to fry)
3 teaspoons of thai green curry paste (For a spicier option, add a little more)
6 handfuls of spinach
3 handfuls of chopped green beans
Two cups of frozen peas
2 chopped zucchini / courgette
1 chopped green pepper
400g of boneless, skinless chicken breast / shrimp or 1 pack of tofu (cut into bite-size pieces)
A handful of cilantro / corriander
2 crushed garlic cloves
Half a diced onion
Boiled rice, to serve. Follow guidelines on the back of the rice packet. (I use brown basmati rice)
Little Tip: Don’t worry so much about measuring the quantities and amounts of veggies out exactly. Throw in what you feel works best and feel free to add veggies you like. Make yummy dishes that work for you!
- Bring rice to the boil, according to instructions on the packet. Remember to keep an eye on it as you make the curry sauce.Once that’s boiling…
- Heat two tablespoons of coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Sizzle the chopped onion and crushed garlic together on the pan until very light golden brown. Be careful not to let it burn!
- Add the zucchini/courgettes to the pan.
- One minute later, throw in the chopped green pepper and green beans.
- Allow to cook all together for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken meat and fry on the pan until the raw meat turns white or light golden on the outside. Continue to stir it so that all sides of the meat get cooked. (If using Shrimp or tofu, add it to the pan and continue straight to the next step.)
- Once the chicken has cooked on the outside, add the 3 teaspoons of curry paste and mix it around the pan so that all the contents begin to get coated by it.
- Now add the coconut milk and simmer the contents together for 5 minutes.
- Now, add the spinach and frozen peas and simmer for another 3 - 5 minutes.
- Season with some salt and pepper to season. Taste it to see what it needs and to get a feel for the ingredients.
- To check the chicken is fully cooked before serving, remove a piece from the pan and cut in half. Make sure the meat is white in the centre. If there is any pinkness, continue to simmer the dish.
- Once ready to serve, dish a few spoonfuls of rice into a bowl and then spoon the curry mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with the freshly chopped cilantro/coriander. Yummy!